Healthy Lunches Recommended for Pupils
Suggestions for your child’s school lunch:
- Bread – whole-grain bread, rolls, bagels, wraps, soda bread or pitta.
- Bread substitutes – oatcakes, plain rice cakes, pancakes or crackers.
- Fillings – cheese, tuna, hummus, cold meats, pate, egg, lettuce, spinach, cucumber, tomato, onion, peppers, coleslaw, salad, or banana.
- Hot leftovers in a flask – curry, pasta (with or without sauce), soup/chowder, baked beans, rice, stew, lasagne or noodles.
- Cold leftovers.
- Fruit – apple, oranges, banana, grapes, pear, plum, peach, apricots, melon, grapefruit, pineapple, strawberries, raspberries, mango, blackberries or blueberries.
- Raw vegetables – tomatoes, sweet corn, peppers, carrot sticks, celery sticks, broccoli, cabbage or cucumber
- Drinks – water, milk, diluted fruit drinks, soups.
Remember to peel and/or cut fruit and vegetables into bite-sized pieces for younger children.
Food items not permitted in school:
- Nuts (including peanut butter).
- Fizzy drinks, sports drinks and drinks/juices with high sugar content.
- Chewing gum.
- Chocolate (including chocolate spread).
- Sweets & winders.
- Cereal Bars Best Practice.
The children will bring home uneaten lunch.
Special Treats on Fridays:
During the school year, on Fridays, the children will be permitted to bring in one small special treat.
Our school also uses an outside agency to provide healthy lunches delivered to the school daily. To find out more, visit https://www.thelunchbag.ie.